Friday, January 16, 2009

Atta boy!

My eyes hurt. Why? Because I've been crying for the last two days straight over the losing of my most prized physical possession. My wedding ring.

You lost your wedding ring? What kind of a wife are you? Do you have any idea how much Greg paid for that? And let's not forget the immensity of the sentimental value!

And that's why I've been crying so hard. That's what my "shoulder devil" has been saying.

HOURS of searching. Searching under the bed. Searching through the trash. Searching through the trash again. Flashlights beaming down drains. The retracing of steps. Multiple trips back and forth to work. I even looked in the breaker box AND the peanut butter jar.

MANY prayers were sent to heaven. Prayers of pleading.

Desperation.

So, I sent an e-mail to everyone at work, just in case. I've never felt so loved by co-workers. People I don't even know were asking if I'd found it yet. Sympathy came from everyone who had lost their wedding ring at some point too. (One guy told of going to the store where his wedding ring had been purchased soaking wet after searching through a reservoir for 2 hours for his. He thought he could dupe his wife by buying a new one before going home. Inevitably, they didn't make that ring style anymore.)

Even more HOURS of searching. I was physically ill. I wasn't even hungry, and that is saying something. When I did eat, a beloved cucumber was the only thing that sounded edible. (Note: not uncommon for me)

And then, inspiration.

Greg was just tall enough and standing at just the right angle to see it. There is was, glittering on a shelf in our downstairs bathroom. I rarely use that bathroom but had been in there cleaning in preparation for an overnight visit from our good friend Scott. It blended in with the metal shelf and was too high for my line of sight.

I cried even more.

Greg: "You don't need to cry anymore, we found it!"
Wendy: "But I'm just so happy you found it!"

Celebration!

And I was hungry again! But only for french vanilla ice cream covered in Reese's Pieces.

My boss told me this morning that she couldn't sleep last night because she was worried about me. Another co-worker said that Greg deserves an "Atta boy!" for finding it.

My eyes still hurt. I can't stop looking at the beautiful ring on my finger and the sparkly diamonds are blinding me.

Atta boy Greg. Atta boy.



April 12, 2008

7 comments:

kate said...

oh! so sad! i'm so glad greg found it! and glad it wasn't in the peanut butter jar, cause that would be so weird.

Wendy said...

I know! I only looked there because I made some toast with peanut butter on it at some point that day and I figured weirder things could happen.

Trent and Steph said...

Glad Greg found it.

Coopers said...

I’m glad that story had a happy ending! And good job at cleaning the bathroom! AND it sounds like the people you work with are really nice.

It’s crazy, but these days my ring has been so so big. Right now as I’m typing it looks like I just have a band bc it just wants to face the wrong way. It is not even that cold out here!! Hopefully I don’t have a similar story soon!

Good thing you married someone taller then you. Nice work Greg.

Amylee said...

That would be an awful, awful feeling!!! Glad it's found. There are some truly incredible ring stories out there. I'll share one even though it's not mine:
My cute Aunt Elaine lost hers. Her oldest son flushed it down the toilet. They called the plumber. He said there was nothing they could do. 3 months later my uncle got up in the middle of the night to relieve his bladder. Low and behold, a shiny diamond ring lay in the bottom- cleaner than it had ever been (or so the story goes). Apparently it got sucked in that OTHER toilet hole. Ya, you know the one I'm talking about. The one you think about every time you clean it and think, "I wonder what this thing does?" Well, it saves wedding rings.

Black Family said...

I know the feeling my husband has two and lost both of them at one point. The one with the diamonds was never found and we think I may have accidentally thrown it away with his bandaid wrappers. But I know that sick feeling I have it everytime I even forget to put it on in the morning. Glad you found it though!

Shay Hoellein said...

You are great at marketing, but you could have easily made a living as a writer or journalist as well. Swear, I LOVE to read your blog. Your choice of words, sentence structure, everything... it's GREAT. Ha, I sound like such a nerd! Really, though. It's awesome.