Friday, February 12, 2010

at heiner's 02.12.10

A new series on bits: at heiner's

I drive past Heiner's Insurance Center on my way to work everyday. They have a marquee in front of their building where they post a funny/thought provoking quote that they change frequently. I'm sure I'm not the only one in town who keeps track of the marquee to see when it changes. It's good for a laugh or contemplative moment to start my day. I'll be posting the quotes that strike me.

So, today at Heiner's.....

"Don't judge a book by its movie."

Not a new thought, but it got me thinking. Which books have you read whose movie counterparts were a disappointment? Which movies turned out better than the books they came from? Did seeing the movie first ruin the book for you? Discuss.

My first thought was Harry Potter. Let it be known that I LOVE HARRY POTTER. The movies are ok but I've heard of too many people who saw the movies first and weren't interested in reading the books. There are so many awesome details that the movies can't explore.

3 comments:

kate said...

i enjoyed that marquee on my bus ride to school from 1996-1999. :)

i agree with you on the harry potter thing. i adore "little women" and every movie adaptation i've seen. i like the "pride and prejudice" movies better than the book.

Wendy said...

I'm ashamed to admit that I started reading Little Women and never finished BUT the movie adaptation with Winona Ryder is one of my all-time favorites. I have read shorter versions that don't really count. I'm also ashamed to admit I've never read Pride and Prejudice. It's always been on my "to read" list but its size alone is intimidating. I watch the most recent movie version often. Usually when Greg is at school and I'm folding laundry :)

Amylee said...

Lord of the Rings; way better movie than book! I don't see how anyone could ever get passed Tom Bombadil in Fellowship. Ugh.