Wednesday, January 27, 2010

forgotten

I'm about to tell you something really embarrassing.

Last week I was visiting my parents and it went as it always does. I tell my mom so-and-so is engaged/pregnant/promoted/maimed/etc and my dad asks if so-and-so is the child of older-so-and-so. I never know so we turn to Facebook for answers. We search through wedding photo albums until we determine, with the aid of dad's high school yearbooks, that so-and-so is in fact older-so-and-so's offspring. How does the man do it? His ability to recognize familial ties astounds me.

Now to the embarrassing part. While looking through the photos we came across one that reminded us all of a funny video involving a man, a destination, and a fox hat. (If you don't know, I won't pollute your mind with the details.) My dad discovered this video at least 5 years ago and was so thrilled with it that he shared it with anyone who visited (Love you dad, but we both know this isn't an exaggeration). Upon seeing the aforementioned photo I recited the punch line and dad replied with, "I don't get it". He and mom laughed. In my confusion I asked what was funny...

Dad: Remember when your friend [so-and-so] didn't understand the movie and said, "I don't get it"?

Me: [So-and-so]? I've never had a friend named [so-and-so].

Mom: Yes you did. Remember, you dated him?...

Me: What?

Dad: What was his last name...[so-and-so], [so-and-so surname]!


That's right, I totally forgot that a person I dated even existed.
I'm getting old; I also need to get my thyroid checked.


P.S. Every guy I ever dated with any amount of seriousness has seen the video so there's no need to worry he would know this was him if he were to read this.

P.S.S. Greg had a big smile when I told him about this.

3 comments:

kate said...

ha ha!! i have the SAME problem. i have tried to remember last names to no avail, and even some of the first names have escaped me. BUT. . .one of them did move in practically next door here in pittsburgh, how crazy is THAT? i think caleb already told you that. and ya, we're having them over for dinner. not weird though, we were friends before and after (and he happens to have been good friends in high school with my best friend here, and she is joining us for dinner)so it's not so bad. i think it's hilarious that you couldn't even bring to mind ever having KNOWN someone by that name. rad!

Wendy said...

Wow. That's embarrassing for me. We'll have to remedy that one.

Coopers said...

Ok, I will need to call you. I have not heard about this movie. Seeing how I have not lived near you for over SIX years!! that makes it hard for your dad to show me this so called movie. Which I'm sure he would have showed me.:)
I just want to know what boy you forgot about. Ha.