Thursday, June 11, 2009

pills

I don't like pills very much. The result is I'm not good at taking them. It's not the remembering to take them part I have a problem with but the actual swallowing part. I think the dislike stems from several things: watching other athletes in high school become completely dependent on pills, hearing about a friend overdosing on pills (on purpose), and viewing first-hand the results of a parent of a friend abusing prescription drugs. I want none of that. On a less serious note, I just like to chew things. It's almost as if my throat refuses to swallow without chewing first. I don't do well with lollipops as you might have guessed. I fear I will never learn how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

The one pill I regularly take is really tiny and I considered it an accomplishment when I mastered taking it with only water. (My Mom will attest to the fact that this is simply amazing.) Now I take another pill and it's big. It's an anti-inflammatory for my left knee that's giving me problems after five pain-free years. It doesn't help that I almost cry everytime I have to take it with the reminder that I haven't been able to run for the last three weeks. There goes my summer racing plans! Don't remind me :(

The moral of the story is, taking pills usually means there's something wrong with me and who wants that? My throat hurts.

5 comments:

Davis Valley Classic said...

Oh Wendy, we have so much in common! I hate pills too! It's well known that I stick my tongue out and open my mouth so wide to get a pill in my mouth before I swallow it. Then I am overly dramatic and make terrible faces while and after swallowing. I just had my wisdom teeth out, so taking the pills were a NIGHTMARE!!! I couldn't open my mouth wide or even stick out my tongue. It was very traumatic, I'm sure you understand!
And, my knee sucks! I'm going on trek soon and am so nervous. I have some steroid pills from my doctor to take to help, and I haven't even started them cause of the same problem!
Moral of the story:
We should hang out more, obviously.

kate said...

why can't they be chewed? i've always wondered that. and hey, that stinks about your knee!

Wendy said...

Oh Kiki, I love you.

Wendy said...

Kate, All I know is that I have resorted to chewing some pills and it's insanely gross. Sometimes I have to chew something and put the pill in my mouth right before I swallow and that always works. TMI?

Amylee said...

Sorry about the knee... that really is awful. I hate pills too, but after you get used to BC and a prenatal then it isn't such a big deal. (For me anyway). I know what you mean about seeing people get screwed up on pills; that's why I hate them too.