Monday, September 21, 2009

true story

There are moments in life when you feel like you're living in a movie. This was one of those moments and boy do I wish someone had been filming the outcome.

Tuesday August 11th, 2009 found Greg and I sunning and swimming in Cozumel. It was lovely. I mean to say, it was lovely until Greg realized he had lost his wedding ring. While swimming. In the ocean. He raised his left hand out of the water to show his naked finger and the only response I could muster was, "You're kidding." Unfortunately he wasn't kidding in the slightest. We decided to not let the situation ruin our vacation and planned on buying a new one when we returned home. [Note: It's safe to say this wouldn't have been my reaction had the lost ring been mine. Remember this?]

Let it be know that Greg was the ring-wearer in our relationship prior to our engagement. He already wore two rings (one of the CTR variety and another made by a jeweler in his mission to the Philippines) before I placed his wedding band on THE finger. He is also the one that rarely removes said wedding ring. (I'm paranoid about ruining my ring so I take it off when I wash my hands, etc.) SO, he felt pretty awkward without his ring.

Two days later we rented snorkeling equipment from the resort dive shop to explore the water nearby. At some point during our excursion, I commented how crazy it would be if we found the ring. We decided to swim over to the area where we realized the ring was lost figuring we might as well check out more fish. I came upon a rock I knew we had been climbing on two days prior when I saw a really pretty tiny purple fish. I followed the fish as it swam over the rock when what should enter my view but the ring. There it was, sitting a few feet under the water on top of the rock. I think I stopped breathing for a moment as I reached forward fully expecting to grab nothing but a handful of salt water, as the ring I was seeing couldn't be real. Once the ring was safely in my grasp I emerged from the water screaming hysterically. Greg was swimming far enough away he only heard the muffled sound of my celebration. He pulled his head out of the water to the great surprise of my find. Needless to say, he was very happy. And relieved. And didn't even care about the people staring at us from the shore.

X marks the spot of the discovery. ish.

Photobucket

2 comments:

kate said...

that is so insane. seriously, unbelievable! so awesome.

and what a stinkin beautiful place! wow.

Davis Valley Classic said...

That is seriously amazing! I can't believe you found it. It's like a little miracle. I think I got the goosebumps while reading this. Haha! That's just too crazy, but awesome!