Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Something New

You should learn something new everyday, right? How about this.......

I think we're all aware we use trademarked words instead of their generic equivalents on a frequent basis (Kleenex anyone?). I credit this to good marketing; not just because I work in marketing....... BUT, did you know that Dumpster is a trademarked word?

Other trademarked words I often use:

  • Jell-O
  • La-Z-Boy
  • Silly Putty
  • Q-Tips
  • Xerox
  • Band-Aid
  • Crock-Pot
  • Google
  • Bubble Wrap
  • Hula-Hoop
  • Jacuzzi

Does anyone really say "cotton swabs" instead of Q-Tips these days? My point exactly. Don't even get me started on Crock-Pot.

8 comments:

Coopers said...

You mean you don't use a slow cooker? I love those! I've got some good recipes you should try.

And Gelatin desserts are just the best. But don't forget the fruit in it.

Oh, and I have had to use a lot of adhesive bandages on Lee this week. He cut his finger while dicing tomatoes. Sad.

Good post. Love it. (what is hula-hoops real word?)

Wendy said...

Ok, ok I guess people really do call Crock-Pots "slow cookers" at times. We wouldn't survive without ours.

I think you'd call Hula-Hoops "plastic toy hoops" or something like that.

Michele said...

how ahow about Velcro, post-its, sharpie, white-out, chapstick, coke, keds ( that dates me...)

Michele said...

oh and frisbee, nintendo, wiffle ball, teflon, saran wrap, tivo,( got Bob going now...)rollerblades--we will keep thinking

Michele said...

escalator, tylenol, ping-pong, fridge, levelor, levi's, thermos, playdoh, legos, scotch tape, popscicle, fudgescicle, styrofoam
I know we are out of control

Wendy said...

Wow-good work family! :)

Amylee said...

I like learning new things. I also frequently use "cotton swab." I just like to say the word "swab". It's funny.

Coopers said...

Ok, no surprise that your family was working on more. That is so funny. I had to laugh at that one.