Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Memoirs of Thanksgivings Past

I have Thanksgiving on the brain.


Is it possible to not completely LOVE this holiday? Granted there was the Thanksgiving when I was 4 and was relegated to Grandma Billie's to spend the holiday by myself (with no shirt on as I recall) while everyone else partied next door at Grandma & Grandpa Hancey's. Oh no, I wasn't bitter; granted this banishment was due to no wrongdoing on my part but rather a consequence of contracting Chicken Pox. In my parents' defense (so as not to paint my childhood as one of neglect and them as the guilty offenders), two babies under the ripe 'ol age of 4 months were present.


Other Thanksgiving memories:

  • Hoping one of my cousins drew my name for the family Christmas gift exchange so I knew I would get something cute. Don't get me wrong, I love my brothers BUT I found out quickly that other girls knew what you would want better than boys.
  • Wondering what they talked about at the "adult table" in the other room.
  • Laughing at my Dad for spending more than one feast at the kid's table.
  • Winning the family challenge by gaining 7.5 lbs. (All weigh-ins are monitored by another participant to ensure adherence to the rules.)
  • Dominating the "Rootbeer Float Pie Contest" of '07. Ok, so "dominating" is up for debate but those pies certainly were tasty.
  • Writing what I'm thankful for each year in the gratitude notebooks.
  • Loving being with family.

What will tomorrow (my first Thanksgiving as a married woman) bring?

2 comments:

Amylee said...

Ha ha! Poor chicken-pox-ridden Wendy. I was going to make an inappropriate joke about spending another Thanksgiving with your shirt off, but I'll refrain.
Eat some turkey for me.

Trent and Steph said...

Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow you guys. Hope you have a great one.